Friday, November 11, 2022

While I'm Down There

I've been a little bit concerned for a while at the state of my floors. Specifically, the floors in the craft room and spare room are a little bit uneven and bouncy, and this lead me to worry that the joists, beam or subfloor might be rotted or termited.

Since I was rolling around in the mud down there anyway, I decided to worm my way over to have a look and to my surprise everything looked pristine. There was no sign of rot or termies, and the joists were all well supported on the beam and foundation wall, and the beam was well supported on its piers.

I think the issue might be that the joists are twisting a bit. There's no blocking between them and they span a good 12 feet or so between the beam and the foundation wall. At some point, probably after I get the crawlspace dug out and a french drain installed, I'll go back down there again with some blocking to install between the joists, and then that should presumably tighten up the floor nicely.

But that's a problem for future me to worry about.

No comments: