Friday, October 22, 2021

Sometimes, just sometimes, there's weather outside

And in order to keep tabs on that weather, without, you know, actually having to go outside, I now employ the services of a wireless electronic weather station. This was a kind hand-me-down gift from Tyler.

Of course the weather station doesn't really do much on its own. To figure out if the wind is blowing or if water is falling from the sky, it needs to employ the services of an outdoor sensor, which Tyler was also kind enough to supply.

That outdoor sensor, in turn, needs somewhere to be mounted.

So I set about shaving this yak.

The included mounting post was certainly serviceable, but it was unfortunately a tad short for me to screw into the soffit directly such that the wind vane might clear the roof. So I grabbed some cedar planks I had left over from building my generator shed and fashioned a little extension to screw the mounting post into.

Yes, that will do quite nicely.

Then it was just a matter of getting it on to the roof and getting the sensor fitted onto it.

There we go, problem solved.

As an aside, I do find it amusing how much the plastic of the sensor has yellowed over time. You'd think that they would have anticipated that this device would be installed in a location where it might be subject to a bit of UV exposure.

2 comments:

Mr.T. said...

The part with the two solar panels was replaced a couple years back because the aspirating fan died (you can get that as a separate part btw). That sure showed how yellowed the body got. And how much the UV took away the shininess.

Nicoya said...

I'm kind of shocked that any part of it used to be shiny!