Tuesday, December 22, 2020

I Can See Clearly Now

So I bought a lemon.

This purple and green and whatever mess in the corners of my monitor come courtesy of LG and their defective 32UD99-W display, and naturally just out of warranty. I've emailed their support drones in hopes of extracting some vengeance but I'm not holding my breath.

I've already replaced the monitor with a different model. Oddly enough, despite my best efforts, I landed on LG again. This is mostly due to the 32-ish inch 4k monitor scene being a bit sparse; most makers seem to be concentrating on making 27-inch panels for some reason. On the bright side the new one is a much cheaper model, the 32UL500-W, so if this one turns out to be a turd too I'll at least not have as big a hole in my wallet.

Looks good so far.

I took this picture before running it through a calibration with my colorimeter, not that you can tell in a photo or anything, but just figured I'd throw that out there. Naturally it took me longer to find the colorimeter than it did to run the calibration (not really, but it sure felt like it). Every few years when I get a new monitor I spend ages turning my house upside-down looking for the damn thing before remembering where its home is. Then after I use it I carefully put it back in its home so I can forget where it is for the next time I need it.

I'm not looking forward to trying to find it again when I buy my next monitor.

No comments: