Or perhaps unlaying, as the case may be. I removed the last of the vestigial plumbing from the old garage sink (which I finally managed to get dispose of, as an aside) and replaced the shitty 30c hose bib washer connections with a fancy dual ball valve. Now I'm at least 93% more likely to switch the water off when I'm not using the washer (still never gonna happen).
Interestingly this plumbing will be somewhat short lived, as I'll eventually be relocating the washer and dryer to the west wall rather than the south wall, which will (along with replacing the hot water tank with a tankless and relocating it outside) eliminate the mess of pipes going across the stairs between the garage and the house. It's a bit absurd that they were ever there in the first place, but, well, I've learned not to ask too many questions about stuff like that.
I had, with completely unfounded optimism, assumed I could get this job done before lunch when the heat of the day would set in. Two issues prevented that, though. Firstly, this piping is at the low point of the system and I had a great deal of difficulty getting the water out of the pipes. The second, fairly minor, issue was an incomplete solder joint that happened on the valve connection for the hot water of all things. Luckily I caught that while it was still hissing air before the water reached that connection, and I was able to shut things down, re-drain the system, and re-sweat the connection without too much fuss.
In the end I managed to wrap things up by 12:30 completely covered in sweat, but a nice hot shower washed away those worries and I was still able to get a late lunch by 1:00pm. Did a load of laundry after that and everything performed flawlessly.
Feels good to have this project checked off, as it'd been on the list for a while now.