Friday, July 19, 2019

Crap Flap

So my dryer vent was literally just a hole in the wall that, while it did have some metal trim around it, wasn't exactly much of a dryer vent. I'd bought a replacement vent right when I moved in as part of replacing the shitty corrugated aluminum dryer vent hose inside, but didn't install it right away as I had other more pressing tasks to deal with. I also wanted to do it up nicely with a coat of paint and so on.

Well, today I decided to knock it out. Or, this week really as I painted it before putting it up.

First, the primer. I used an automotive spray primer for good adhesion to the metal.


Then came the exterior semi-gloss paint.


It went on pretty thick and held the brush strokes, but in the end it looked fine so I'm not too fussed. All that was left was to install it.


Kinda rushed the caulking but meh, whatever. It's fine. The actual waterproofing is courtesy of the half-tube of silicone I put in behind the vent before shoving it into place, the stuff around the edges is just for aesthetics.

So now I have a proper dryer vent complete with a rain hood and crap flap! Hurrah!

No comments: