Sunday, April 7, 2019

The Big Picture

While I enjoyed using my pocket projector for playing Skyrim on my wall, it was a little lacking in both resolution and brightness, so I figured it was time to throw down and get things upgraded.


Enter the Optoma UHD60, a very lovely 3000 lumen 4k projector.

The picture is still a little bit washed out due to the wall of south facing windows in this room, so I'll likely be ordering up some blinds soon to tame the nuclear hellfire raining in from the uncontrolled fusion reactor we circle every year, but other than that things worked out really well.

I did have some trouble trying to find a joist in the ceiling to attach the projector mount, as my stud finder was having a slight aneurysm. Going old school and tapping the drywall followed by drilling very fine holes until I ran into wood did the trick though, so I've got it mounted nice and solid.

The dangling cables are a temporary arrangement, and I'll soon be getting some longer white cables as well as some surface conduit stuff to hide them against the ceiling and wall. I'm also planning to replace the ugly black track lighting with a more subtle white system at some point.

2 comments:

Mr.T. said...

I can't remember the last time I've used my stud-finder. Its completely useless on knockdown textured walls. I end up just using a few neodymium magnets to find a line of screws and use that as a reference.

I'm tempted to get a FLIR camera so I can see the studs (and other horrors) in my walls.

Nicoya said...

Oddly the stud finder seems to work fine on my walls (other than the two walls that used to be exterior stucco and were just drywalled over, for obvious reasons). It was just the ceiling it had a lot of trouble with.