Saturday, April 27, 2019

Out with the old, in with the new

Did the break-in oil change on Gregg, my Honda CB650F.


Conveniently San Jose has curb side oil and filter recycling. They provide jugs for the oil and a baggie for the filter, and pick it up on trash day, dropping off a replacement set of jugs and baggies. Gregg only takes about 3L of oil so one jug was more than enough. If I wanted to do my own oil change on the PedoVan though, I'd be having to get a few more jugs as it takes more like 3.5 gallons.

Anyway, this should keep me rolling for the next year on Gregg at least. Next bike that needs attention is Orthrus, which has a slow oil leak around the clutch actuator rod, and I still need to attend to the float needles not seating quite perfectly. I'm gonna let the dealer handle replacing the seal this summer when I take it in for its yearly, and I'll be fixing the float needles myself whenever I find the time to get around to it.

6 comments:

Mr.T. said...

Nifty. This is far better than accumulating it in the garage until you remember to take it back.

Our trash pickup isn't cheap but it's got lots of nice perks like this.

Nicoya said...

Yeah I'm liking this part for sure.

Mr.T. said...

Can you package up your oily rags with the filter? Or do they just want you to keep those in a box near the furnace?

Nicoya said...

Dunno, probably. I used a towel and washed it like a planet-killing monster.

Mr.T. said...

I'm guessing there is less mess to clean up with this small of a job? I found anytime I changed the oil in my Subaru, the position of the oil filter was such that I needed half a roll of shop towels to clean up all the oil that meandered all over the exhaust manifold.

Nicoya said...

It depends on the bike of course, but there's a lot less stuff to get oil on for sure. On this one the filter and drain plug are right at the bottom without anything else around it so it's really simple.