Monday, July 9, 2007

Elucidations

Bob asked me to expand on a few recent blog postings, so here goes.

I'd like to buy a new mac to replace my aging G3 as my primary desktop system. Originally, when I was going to California, I had planned to get a 24" iMac, which would also supply me with a new monitor at the same time.

Sadly California didn't happen, and I'm ending up with a bit less spending cash. The current likely scenario is that I'll not buy anything, but there's at least a possibility that I might get a Mac Mini to tide me over.

Getting a new mac would also allow me to shuffle my G3 over to replace the role of my very nice but very loud and very hot SGI Octane. If I were to get a Mini this year, then next year I could get a shiny new iMac and the Mini could replace my G3 as the replacement for my Octane, so then all of my desktop systems would be reasonably modern, quiet, cool, etc.

As for never flying in the US, it comes down to two things:

1) SFO is a miserable maze of twisty passages, all different.
2) TSA stole my toothpaste.

These two things, along with various other minor annoyances, made the hours I spent waiting around in the airport an utterly miserable and insulting experience. I don't have time to waste away my life doing miserable things, and so from this day forward I'll be doing everything in my power to avoid taking a commercial flight into or out of the US.

Last but not least, the broadband. I thought I had covered this in my previous post, but yes we did get shaw installed here in the house. We set it up with wireless because it wasn't possible to run the cables through the wall to get from where the cable was to where the computer is. Plus it makes it much easier for me to type my blog while sitting in bed. :)

If there's anything else you all would like me to expand on, feel free to leave a comment or drop me an email.

2 comments:

noricum said...

Couldn't you replace most of your computers with a single one? Why do you need so many?

Didn't you know you can't bring liquids and gels on board? That one has been around for quite a while now. I could have told you that. Any liquids and gels have to be less than something like 100 ml, and the container has to hold less than that too. They don't care if something is only half full. Plus there's the ziploc bag thing.

Oh... I forgot to confirm that your plants did indeed get watered this past weekend. Although it was Sunday, not Saturday.

Nicoya said...

I had thought they were done with that whole "no liquids" stupidity, especially considering how widely known it is that the whole "mixing liquids" terror plot never could have worked.

Thanks for watering the plants, I do appreciate it.

And yes, I do need that many computers. Each of them has a different purpose, and those purposes are such that they can't really be performed on the same machine.