Monday, May 7, 2007

Brothers and Sisters aren't relatives

Today I finally got the title and insurance transferred on the jellybean. It turns out that brothers and sisters aren't related according to MPI, so the transfer had to be made as a complete sale.

That means I had to pay taxes ($160 or so) and I had to get a safety. The latter turned into a bit of a headache.

So this morning around 10:00 I roll on over to AutoCheck to get my safety done. I figure since my car was just in for a full service it should be pretty much just a rubber stamp and out the door. Unfortunately there were two deficiencies, a burnt out marker light, and the front brake rotors were a hair too thin. Ugh.

I went back over to Focus and grouched at them about not telling me anything about the rotors when it was in before. I considered replacing the rotors myself, but it turns out that on my particular model the rotors are press-fit onto the hub so it's a 3 hour job to replace them, with plenty of fancy tools that I probably don't have.

I just let them at it, and it was done by around 4:00. The shuttle driver returned me, with my sister in tow, and we picked up the car at Focus, went back over to AutoCheck to get the safety completed, then back over to Coughlin Insurance to get the title and insurance transferred.

I managed to get things done and home by around 6:00pm, about an hour later than I was hoping, and sat down to a lovely dinner of grilled burgers and oven fries a bit light in the wallet.

I'm at least reasonably happy that I was able to get everything done in one day. Plus I managed to get a reasonably memorable plate number! Yay!

One step closer to hitting the road.

No comments: